The goal was not to provide an exhaustive review of the evidence, but rather to present representative studies that address AA effectiveness according to six accepted criterion for establishing scientific causation. This framework may be especially appropriate for considering AA effectiveness, because it acknowledges the value and limitations of experimental evidence in the context of other criterion for determining treatment effectiveness. Alcoholics Anonymous means a few things but the most important meaning behind Alcoholics Anonymous is that it’s a place for people to come together and discuss their problems with alcohol. There is also an anonymous component to the organization that allows people to be discreet about attending meetings, joining groups, and sharing information. For some people, this makes it easier to join than rehab centers, therapy programs, and other alcoholism treatment alternatives.
- Some studies combined alcohol and drug abstinence, or considered 12-step group attendance which would have included Narcotics Anonymous (NA) and other 12-step groups for drugs (in addition to AA).
- Three rigorous studies are particularly relevant here.
- “If you want to change your behavior, find some other people who are trying to make the same change,” he said.
- Cochrane requires its authors to undertake a rigorous process that ensures the studies represented in its summaries are high-quality and the review of evidence is unbiased.
- That said, there are also other apps available that can be used as a companion to A.A.
This may stem from the criterion being used to judge effectiveness. Alcoholics Anonymous, also known as the “Big Book,” presents the A.A. First published in 1939, its purpose was to show other alcoholics how the https://ecosoberhouse.com/article/what-is-alcoholics-anonymous/ first 100 people of A.A. Now translated into over 70 languages, it is still considered A.A.’s basic text. There are other concerns with the Brandsma trial  which call its experimental results into question.
Support Stanford Medicine
AA has been around for more than 85 years, but scientific evidence didn’t start to build about its effectiveness until around the 1990s, Kelly says. Anyone with a desire to stop drinking is welcome, regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, income or profession. Hosted by therapist Amy Morin, LCSW, this episode of The Verywell Mind Podcast, featuring multi-platinum award-winning singer Bryan Abrams, shares his sobriety journey and how he found treatment that actually worked. If you repeatedly drink more than you intend or want to, you may be an alcoholic.
- An exception is Moos’ work that studied 16-year alcohol abstinence in a previously untreated problem drinking sample as a function of AA during years 2–3 and years 4–8  (Figure 2c).
- After graduation, he found himself with a job, wife, and child.
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) is the original 12-step program for recovery.
- An effective addiction aftercare program fits a person’s specific needs, and in some cases, a more secular approach to recovery may be preferable.
- In the aftercare arm, there were no significant differences between the three treatments, with over two-fifths abstinent at the 1-year follow-up (results not shown).
- Sister Francis who owned the farm tried to gift the spiritual retreat for alcoholics to Alcoholics Anonymous, however citing the sixth tradition Bill W.
Thus, AA attendance levels were high in the inpatient hospital condition in the former study, and in the CBT and MET conditions among the Project MATCH aftercare subjects. In fact, CBT and MET aftercare patients attended more meetings than the TSF outpatients, and the aftercare patients overall attended twice the number of meetings at every follow-up compared to the outpatients [22, see pp.191–192]. But AA never endorses, supports, becomes affiliated with, or expresses an opinion on the programs of others in the field of alcoholism, since such actions would be beyond the scope of the Fellowship’s primary purpose. In Great Britain AA’s relations with professional bodies, agencies, facilities and individuals involved with the problems of alcoholism are handled by members elected as officers by Groups, intergroups and regional assemblies. These officers are supported by committees of The General Service Board and assisted by staff of The General Service Office. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.
Criterion 3, consistency of association
Lack of participation appears to hinder the results of the program. If people don’t adhere to the structure and attend regular meetings, they won’t receive the full benefit of the program, so it’s important that people are committed to AA to succeed. The primary purpose of the Central Florida Intergroup’s web site is to provide an online meeting guide for meetings of Alcoholics Anonymous throughout the Central Florida area. The web site will present information that is available publicly concerning meetings, events and links concerning Alcoholics Anonymous.
Alcoholics Anonymous Step 1 is the beginning of a 12-step program to get and stay sober. Taking this first step and admitting you are struggling with alcohol misuse can be difficult, but it is the foundation of all positive change according to AA. Alcoholics Anonymous is effective and according to research from Stanford University Alcoholics Anonymous helps more people remain sober than therapy. The researchers concluded that this is caused by the aftercare methods of Alcoholics Anonymous and the use of a sponsor to hold members accountable.
Big Book Workshop: 12 Steps in 12 Weeks
Kelly and his team examined studies published in the past couple of decades in which people were randomly assigned to AA or other 12-step programs by health professionals. If one AA meeting isn’t working, try attending a different meeting or group altogether. Because it’s so accessible, you likely won’t have problems finding other meetings.
In his mind, though, they were getting in the way of his drinking. If the cost of rehab is preventing you from finding help, your insurance may be able to cover https://ecosoberhouse.com/ all or part of the cost of treatment. The site has no outside interests, or connection or affiliation with any individual or organization outside of AA.